Monday, September 14, 2009

Missed Details Bother Me

This Heineken Light commercial has been all over sports programs recently. It’s a pretty good commercial. It makes me remember Heineken Light and gives me a chance to look at Eva Longoria. These are two great things. At the very end of the commercial though, they loose lose me. When the waitress brings the two gentlemen their Heineken Lights, she brings them glass bottles. Not one stadium, arena or amphitheater in the US, serves any kind of beer in a glass bottle.



I don’t know why this gets under my skin so much. It doesn’t distract from the communication, but for some reason I can’t get past it. Is it because it takes something away from the authenticity?

It’s a beer commercial. They are not generally based in reality. The idea that these guys would be moved down to courtside seats isn’t based in reality, but that part doesn’t bother me.

Am I crazy for letting this bother me? Does this oversight make it a bad commercial? Have you seen other mistakes in commercials that ruin it for you?

- Dennis

2 comments:

  1. [Warning, Kelli can be a bitch]. Yes, tiny details like that bother me. Kind of like how you typed 'loose' instead of 'lose.' Which most likely was a typo, not that you confuse those two words (but some ppl do). See, I warned.
    But, yes, I totally agree. You get hung up on something being out of place. While the scenario of the commercial is unrealistic, we accept it, sort of like we accept the perfect breeze that follows models in every clothing/make up/whatever commercials.
    I'm working on a project right now, where the payoff is completely unrealistic. It bothers me, but I know it's part of the suspended reality that we get to take part in as advertisers. I'm sure it was discussed regarding the bottle/can choice, but [forgive me, I totally don't drink beer, and none of my friends drink Heineken] don't their cans look like little kegs? Maybe it was felt that the alternative would be distracting.
    And if I can think of an example, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing out my typo. Always good to be kept grounded.

    Good point about the alternative being distracting. A can or even beer in a plastic cup might seem just as out of place.

    ReplyDelete