Friday, February 20, 2009

How Do You Get Freelance Account Work?

Freelance work is a part of the advertising world. Creative Directors, Copy Writers and Art Directors, all do side jobs. And I’m all for it. It’s a great way to make some money on the side, while at the same time sharpening your advertising skills. There are smaller companies all over that need good, cost effective creative to help them grow their business. Freelance work allows for both parties to benefit.

I’m such a big fan of freelance work that I’ve tried to pick up my own. I answered a Craigslist posting from a small company looking for some help with their marketing. After designing an awesome Power Point presentation, that only The Ultimate Account Guy could design, I ran into a hurdle.


The hurdle came in the form of limitations of the account realm. As an account guy, I can set up campaigns, I can find great media outlets, I can do everything possible to get great, consumer ready creative into the market. The only problem is, I can’t create the creative.

My solution to this was to team up with an art director that I know. Have her do the creative. I’ll do the account work. We’ll be a mini agency.

Problem with that is for both of us to make money that makes it worth our time, we have to charge more than we would like. A much more viable option is for a small business to go straight to an art director and work with him/her. Which is what this business did. I can’t blame them. Especially in this economy, going with the most cost effective way is the only way to go.

So my question to you is, have you found a viable way to get freelance work as an account person? If so, how?

-The Ultimate Account Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment